Saturday, August 26, 2006

I discovered another basic truth about children recently. There is a major difference between little children and older children in their willingness to share self-incriminating information. I wonder when the ability to discern which things are good to share with parents and which things aren't advisable to share develops. It hasn't developed in Katie!

Today, for instance, we are getting out of the car after coming home from a swimming birthday party she had with about 10 kids and she tells me, "Mom - I had to pee pee in the pool today, 2 TIMES!" (hee hee hee) Now, what in the heck am I supposed to do with that information? It's a little late to call everyone out of the pool due to a toxic spill. Also, she knows that's not cool and that I'm going to scold her for it! Why tell me now?

Another episode occurred a couple weeks ago. When we were saying prayers at bedtime, I asked her to think of things to thank God for. Then I asked her if there was anything she should tell God she was sorry for and ask him to help her not do again. After some prompting, she remembered that she had kicked her brother that day, just out of spite, and infortunately for her, right in front of me. So she prays, "....and God, please forgive me for kicking my brother today. (Mom - I really kicked him 2 times when you weren't looking) Please help me not to kick him again...." So what do I do now? Do priests impose penalties on their confessors when they find out what they have done? She was asking forgiveness and so if God forgives her, I guess I have to also!

Good grief. Kids are so funny! I dread Katie losing her lack of inhibition! We will be much less entertained!

1 comment:

Jimmy, Tiffany, Abigail and Cooper said...

So funny. Abby is starting to get that. We have told her it's ALWAYS better to tell us the truth and tell us right away then to stall. We've have incidences when we'll ask her about something, she'll stand and you can tell she's thinking, then she'll admit whatever we're asking about and say, "I am telling the truth."