Friday, March 30, 2007

A day with Katie is like...

...12 hours of intense interrogation! I have heard that other kids ask a lot of questions but somehow, I have to wonder if they ask as many as Katie. Many parents have "quiet time" where no one is allowed to talk. We have "no more question time", when no one is allowed to ask any questions. I don't care if she talks, as long as I get a break from coming up with clever and intelligent, or even well invented, answers!

Her latest queries have been largely about Carrie Underwood. It all started a year or 2 ago when we watched her on American Idol. Katie fell IN LOVE with Carrie. When her first couple of songs came out, "Jesus Take the Wheel" and "Don't Forget to Remember Me", we thought it was great and let Katie continue her infatuation. Well, then comes along the cheating song. I don't know the actual name, but where she "dug her key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4-wheel drive...", (my favorite part being "she's dabbing all $3 of that bathroom Polo"). I'm sure you've heard it if you ever listen to country. Anyway, it's pretty ugly. Unfortunately, by the time that song came out, Katie could instantly recognize her voice, so I had to change the station quick when it came on. Well, all was fine until one day, we are in a pizza joint that had 5 huge TV's, 2 of which are set on CMT. Don't you know, the video comes on. Katie goes nuts! Great. And now the questions begin.

Today, the song came on and I switched the station quick, but she recognized it.

"Why don't we listen to that song?" she asks for the fiftieth time.

"Because it talks about someone being mean." I say. for the 50th time.

Then comes a new question. "Why does Carrie walk funny in the movie (ie. music video)?"

I had to think a minute about that one. I guess she is talking about the bad-attitude-exuding, disjointed-looking-hips-type swagger. As I'm thinking this over...

"You know, mom, like she has to go pee pee!"

I cracked up because that is exactly how Katie walks when she has to go! "I guess Carrie had a little too much juice before she started making the movie!" I reply.

"I guess so," says Katie.

Score one for mom!

3 comments:

HAM said...

Oh, that is GREAT!!!
You are so on speed dial when my kid starts to talk:)

TC in SC said...

Great! I'll want to hear what they say! This is all assuming that you have a kid in there and not a litter of puppies. You know, it's hard to tell at this point!

JG said...

I love hearing the answers that you come up with when you and Katie talk. You are so creative and it cracks me up. I'm assuming Simone is going to be just that verbal because she's sitting there cooing in her crib right now, having a very serious conversation with her mobile. She almost sounds like she's fussing, but she's not upset, so I think they must have said something mean and she's getting on to them. I can't wait until she starts talking and I know what's going on in that mind of hers.