Thursday, September 06, 2007

Random Memory

I was thinking back the other day to something that happened 13 years ago! I can't remember what triggered that memory. I must be getting old since I have significant memory of something that far back. Anyway, Rick and I were dating and were at the mall. In that foggy, lovey phase, we stepped into a jewelry store in the mall to look at engagement rings. We weren't really ready to buy anything (meaning, our student loan money hadn't come in so we were still broke) but we wanted to look (and I wanted to be able to tell my girlfriends that I'd been engagement-ring shopping!)

Anyway, the sales lady, when she figured out that we weren't planning to buy anything immediately, told us that we shouldn't wait too long to buy a diamond because THE DIAMOND SUPPLY IN THE WORLD WAS ALMOST DEPLETED! She actually told us that in the near future, everyone was going to have "champagne" diamonds (translation - ugly brown diamonds) because they had almost finished mining all of the earth's clear white diamonds. We actually got a little worried about that.

Funny how things end up. Rick is 12 years into a career in jewelry, and still having no trouble buying white diamonds,(and with new diamond mines still being discovered) and we hadn't thought of that trip to the mall in over 10 years. I wonder if the sales lady really believed what she told us or if she flat out lied to us. Our worry over what she said goes to show how easily we can have the wool pulled over our eyes when we are in the vulnerable position of not knowing something. Obviously, no one can know about everything (even people who act like they do!), so we are all in the position at times.

I am not sure why I thought of that, but to set your mind at ease, I don't think that in this century the world will run out of nice diamonds. Although, if you are worried, we can hook you up with a big one today, just in case!

No comments: