Monday, September 17, 2007

Last night, we had a praise gathering at church and Rick had sent out an e-mail earlier in the week asking for song requests. It was cool because one of our members is currently deployed to Afghanistan and he sent Rick a request via e-mail. Rick records the assemblies onto DVD and sends them to Jeff, so he knew Jeff would get to hear his request.

I was so moved when we sang the song he requested. The first line says, "Over all the earth, You reign on high." I started to wonder if this brother is able to see God reigning in Afghanistan right now.

I've been to a lot of places in this country, and in the world, where you could look out over the creation and know that God reigns. You'd be blind not to see that at Niagara Falls, or looking over the Swiss Alps, in the sun setting over the Black Sea or in the waves crashing onto some of the beautiful, undisturbed beaches of South Carolina. I've known God reigned when I watched medical professionals serve the underserved at free medical clinics in Arkansas and here in South Carolina and I've known God reigned when I've seen men sweating over building homes for people who've lost theirs in a storm. I have felt like I've almost seen the very face of God in my newborn babies and in watching some amazing women of God showing comfort to each other. Creation and the work of God-loving people testify to the reign of God.

I believe the words of Psalm 48 and I know in faith that God reigns over all of the earth. But I can imagine it is really hard for people to see that in some areas of the world right now.

Psalm 48:7 "God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne."

No comments: