Tuesday, October 30, 2007

7 Years of Plenty?

Totally random thought here. Has anyone noticed a larger than usual crop of acorns this year? Pulling out of the driveway each morning sounds like we are driving over bubble wrap, there are so many acorns that have accumulated overnight. What is so funny to me is the squirrels climb up to the top of our oak trees, which would be about 60 or more feet up, and shake the branches to make them fall. Have they not noticed that there are about 7,000,000 of them already on the ground? Let's work a little smarter, little squirrels. That could explain why you are not on the top of your food chain!

On a more frightening note, has anyone ever been hit with an acorn that has fallen down 60 feet? I can't do the math on that anymore, but I'd estimate the velocity of an acorn could reach a force similar to the force Micah uses tackling Katie when he wants to take her down! In either situation, it's going to hurt. We are about to start using helmets outside.

I just wonder if I should be concerned about the plethora of acorns. I may have to consult the farmer's almanac and see what that bodes for the winter. Maybe I should be squirreling something away too. Mac and cheese was on sale at Publix this week - buy one get one free. Hmmmm...

No comments: