Monday, December 04, 2006

Don't you just hate those split-second decisions? We had a major one today. Katie has discovered that if you ask the ladies in the bakery at the grocery store for a cookie, you can have one, which has in turn taught Micah at the tender age of 1 to start hollering "a-geee" (which we believe means cookie) when we enter the store. So today, cookie in hand, we are cruising the frozen food section when the inevitable happens. He drops the cookie. In the 2 or 3 seconds that passed immediately after the drop, our eyes meet and a wealth of information is communicated in just a glance.

He thinks, "Crap - I dropped the cookie."
I think, "Crap - he dropped the cookie."
He thinks, "It was only a small bite."
I think, "Yeah - really only a crumb."
He thinks, "But I think I want it anyway."
I think, "There was hardly anything left to it."
He thinks, "I am pretty sure I want that piece of cookie."
I think, "Maybe if I kick it under the freezer he'll forget about it."
He thinks, "I will not forget."
I think, "Maybe I can just keep walking and he will be distracted by his sister who is inside the freezer right now drawing on the fog inside the door."
He thinks, "I may just have to start screaming if you don't give me the cookie."
I think, "Maybe we don't need to eat this week and I can make a break for the door."
He thinks, "We do need to eat, staring now and starting with that cookie on the floor."
I think, "Oh wow - that's a great price on frozen waffles."
He thinks, "Focus mom - here it comes."
I think, "Okay - okay - have mercy on me."

And so I pick up the cookie, wipe it on my jeans, put it back in his sticky little fist, say a prayer for his health, and get rewarded with a big 13-toothed smile! And then begin to have second thoughts. He is smart though - he shoved that cookie so far back in his head, I'd need to head to the kitchen utensil section if I decided that I'd made the wrong decision and decided to take the cookie back.

Oh well. You win some and lose most with kids. I guess that is why God said to pray continually! I'm still praying about the cookie!

2 comments:

Philip said...

Free cookies at the bakery? I've never heard of such a thing. Depending on the flavor, I may have kicked it. Oatmeal=punt. Chocolate chip=sweep and swallow.

TC in SC said...

Free indeed! Publix, no less! It was sugar - that's a gray area!