Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Micah : Rascal Fan

Wow - the third day in a row! I must be really with it these days! I'm not sure what motivates me to blog on certain days and then neglect it for a month. It may be that I really like reading blogs, especially people like P and J who blog every day. It helps me feel more a part of their lives. So I am motivated to have something new for the 3 people who may check this blog!

Anyway, I frequently reflect (a.k.a. mull) over the deficiences in my parenting. Currently, I have been feeling somewhat guilty that my son is obsessed with Rascal Flatts (that's a country group, mom and dad!). Whenever he is whiny or fussy, I put on the "Me and My Gang" album and he is so contented. Therefore, since he is a pretty whiny kid sometimes, we listen to that album a couple times a day. I guess it might be the fact that my husband is a music minister, but it makes me a tad guilty that my son isn't quite as attached to Christian music. You would think that we would have that playing in our home, and we do periodically. He just doesn't like it as much. And, being the loudest person in our family, we get to keep our sanity if he gets to pick the music!

But amazingly, after having heard that entire Rascal Flatts album at least 400 times, I noticed a song that I have never really "heard". Truly, I could probably sing along with the song, start to finish, word for word, but the meaning has never sunk in. Here are the lyrics. See what you think....
They tried their best to drag him out
Of a courthouse down in Montgomery
And now they wanna kick him out of school
And take him off our money
They can take those words off of paper and stone
But he ain’t gone, no
Chorus
He ain’t the leavin’ kind
He’d never walk away
Even from those who don’t believe
And wanna leave him behind
He ain’t the leavin’ kind
She stayed mad at him for a lot of years
For takin’ her husband
Started losin’ her faith
And thinkin’ that her life meant nothin’
But when she looks at those kids she raised all by herself
She knows she had some help, yeah she knows
Chorus
He ain’t the leavin’ kind
He’d never walk away
Even from those who don’t believe
And wanna leave him behind
He ain’t the leavin’ kind
No matter what you do
No matter where you go
He’s always right there with you
Even from those who don’t believe
And wanna leave him behind
He ain’t the leavin’ kind



Cool song! Too bad I haven't noticed the message before. I guess that is how life is a lot. The same words buzz around you and it takes a certain time or circumstance for them to have real meaning. God must get pretty frustrated with us - he has provided the answers to our hardest questions in the Word but it still seems to miss it's mark, even though we read and read it! Things we say to each other are the same - if you are a parent, you know exactly what I mean. I guess the point is the same as me continually listening to this album - hopefully the words will sink in at the right moment!

The second point is for you, Tiffany - how cool is country music!

No comments: