Sunday, November 18, 2007

2 Thoughts...

A couple years ago, one of the middle schoolers at church asked me, "When your baby (Micah was a baby at the time) poops in his diaper and you have to change him, does it still stink to you, since he's your baby?"

Bless her heart.

Dear R.K. - Yes. It stinks. Badly. (And I hear a resounding AMEN from Rick.)

I thought about this yesterday because I was struck by something that is different in my experience with my kids than my experience with other kids. When I was teaching I developed a massive gross-out phobia with loose/losing teeth. It seriously made me nauseas to see kids wiggle and pull out their teeth.

Well, Katie lost her second tooth yesterday and it was ugly. I can't explain exactly how this happened. All I really understood from her hysterical crying was that a blanket snagged this not-very-loose tooth and when she rolled over in bed, it jerked the tooth out. It was bloody and seemed to hurt quite a bit. But I realized later that day that I hadn't been particularly grossed out. I felt bad for Katie and somewhat perplexed as to how that all happened, but not grossed out. Score one for the mom. 2 teeth down, many more to go. My favorite part of the whole tooth-losing event was listening to Katie this morning, reenact how she woke up and discovered that the tooth box was empty of the tooth and full of a dollar!

Speaking of favorite times, I think that our assembly at church yesterday was one of my all time favorites - at least in the top 10. During the singing time, Micah (who was dressed exactly like Rick in a blue dress shirt and khaki pants) led his own little worship time in the aisle beside me with a yellow crayon as his microphone. He has his little hands in the air and he was singing at the top of his lungs! It was beautiful. I think Rick had a hard time keeping everyone together because there weren't too many eyes on him - they were all watching Micah and laughing their heads off. I know that he isn't supposed to be providing the entertainment - in fact, I know he didn't even see anyone watching him because he'd have stopped if he did. He was just all into the praise music. But I just can't stifle that enthusiasm! It is so cool to see him praising God and trying to be like his dad! I can't think of a more beautiful thing that could happen in our assembly, so I let him sing on! The dancing got a little crazy, but sometimes you just can't help yourself!

No comments: