Thursday, January 17, 2008

Good Book

Okay - so I'm getting why women should have their children while they are still young! Pregnancy in my 30's is more difficult than in my 20's. But I guess a good byproduct of feeling like such a slug right now is that I've had a good excuse to read more (like I really needed that!)

I found another gem - "We Are All The Same" by Jim Wooten. It's no Saturday afternoon read - it's actually quite intense, but very moving in a way we all need to be moved. It's biographical, though retold in a great story, about an AIDS orphan in South Africa and the white woman who changed his life and those of countless others by deciding that there had to be more to her life than what she had found thus far. Unfortunately, she doesn't reach any spiritual epiphanies in this period of her life but she does reach some very God-like conclusions and develops a passion for compassion towards those on the margins of society.

Having grown up in the 80's and 90's, I heard words like 'apartheid' and names like 'Mandela' and 'Desmond Tutu', but not until this book have they all come together to make real the suffering and desperation of millions of people that were created in the image of God and that are loved by him as fully and completely as my own children are. I recommend this book for the shear reality of it - the day to day, face by face reality of life for millions in Africa.

You might need to chew on this one a bit!

No comments: