Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I had a different kind of evening yesterday. My friend Holly (yes, the same one who suggested the Mud-fest – I must be slow for still going with her suggestions!) answered an ad in the paper for us to participate in a survey for folks who listen to country music. We sat in a conference room for 2 hours and listened to clips of 600 country songs and rated them on a scale of never heard the song, hate the song, am tired of the song, have no opinion, like the song and it’s a favorite song. Not a bad way to earn $75! It struck me, as I was filling in very few #6’s (favorite song) that I am a music snob. I had quite a lot of #3’s (tired of the song) and way more #1’s (never heard it) than the guy next to me. (I wasn’t cheating, just doing a little survey of my own!) And amazingly, after 600 songs I was still able to think of a bunch that they didn’t play. That led me to consider what some of my favorite, “even-if-you-don’t-like-country-music-you’ll-like-this-song”, songs are and I compiled this short list. If you haven’t heard these songs, you haven’t really lived. You oughta give just one of them a listen on i-tunes. (If I was as smart as Shane, I’d make you a playlist.)

1. Good Directions – Billy Currington
2. The Good Stuff – Kenny Chesney
3. Red Neck Yacht Club – Craig Morgan
4. Mayberry – Rascal Flatts
5. Somebody’s Hero – Jamie O’Neal
6. My Front Porch Looking In - Lonestar

So that’s my thought for the day. Anyone got one to add to the list?

No comments: