Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I hate making lunch...

I know that sounds petty and more than a little short-sighted. I am thankful that I have food to make lunch and recognize that many folks don't.

I just never know what to make. If I could afford it (financially and calorically - is that a word? It is now.) I would go out for lunch every day, just to save myself the trouble of figuring out what I want to eat.

Anyway, that said, here are my latest 2 interesting lunch ideas, and I would love it if any of my 3 faithful readers wanted to share what they have for lunch.

Vegetarian Sandwiches - thanks to my friend Brenda for this. She is the best kind of vegetarian. She has no issue with anyone else eating meat - she just doesn't like it. Never has. For this you use fancy, crusty bread, like marble rye or sliced italian bread from the bakery. You spray that squirty kind of dressing, balsamic vinegrette, on each slice and put on it some sliced plum tomatoes, fresh sliced fresh mozzerella (the kind that you buy in a block - slice it thick) and some fresh basil leaves (which taste to me like the way a Christmas tree smells.) Deeelish. Cool on a hot day.

Black bean salsa - I like this on tortilla chips (the scoop kind work good) or on salad with a little ranch. For this you cook some black beans (I'm starting to use the dry kind that you have to soak and rinse and cook - they are more trouble but they taste better and are SO cheap. You can use the canned kind but you have to rinse them good.) and then let them cool. Also, cook some frozen corn and let it cool. Chop up a bunch of fresh cilantro (I would bathe in cilantro, I love it so much.) and mix it with the beans and corn. Then stir in some taco sauce (not salsa, though you can use that if you want. Taco sauce is thin and not chunky. I like it better.), just enough so that it sticks it all together. Salt and pepper and BAM. It tastes best cold.

So there you have my lunches for the week. I would love to know what you like for lunch, besides turkey sandwiches and pb and j! I got tired of those many years ago!

2 comments:

Philip said...

I'm a Snickers and Coke guy right now. Jaime is the real meal-at-home guru.

Hiltz said...

okay...some of this stuff is nasty, but some of it is great and easy and on hand! Check out her website. Again, lots of hillbilly food but great and thrifty ideas, too!http://hillbillyhousewife.com/lunchboxfood2.htm