Thursday, May 10, 2007

You don't have to be very smart to be a mom...

...just a little smarter than the kids. This is my new mantra. For example, I have had a real problem since Micah (who Katie is calling "Tyler" today) learned to move around - I can't work in the front yard while he is awake, which would explain why our house frequently looks abandoned, because he loves to run into the street or try to eat the things in the garage. Neither is a good scenario. But today, I solved that problem, at least temporarily. I used a long rope...no, I did not tie him to a concrete block, dad! That was your idea, and a good one. I figure that as strong as he is, that would only buy me a few minutes! Actually, I strung it back and forth between the pillars on the porch to make a fence. Lucky for me, Micah quickly made a broad assumption that it was impassable and contently played on the porch while I got yard work done. I'm sure it won't work for long, but the yard looks okay for now!

The best part was listening to Katie (who is going by the name "Sabrina" today) "read" Micah, I mean Tyler, a story. He had brought an atlas out on the porch with him and she got him to sit by him on the bench and "read him this story out of the atlas. (I think she was on the Asia map page for whatever that is worth.) I actually jotted this story down so that I could remember the details.

"There once was a land called South Carolina where there lived 2 kids and a woman. The woman was not their mother. Their mother had moved to Houston, Texas and left them as orphans. She didn't abandon them - they were just in the bathroom and didn't know she was leaving so she left them on accident..."

She told Micah, I mean Tyler, that she would tell him the rest of the story tomorrow! I can't wait to hear it!

By the way, I've never left the kids because they were in the bathroom, but it might happen! It's happened to folks far greater than me! Stay tuned for the next chapter!

No comments: