Saturday, August 04, 2007

I think I might miss her...

It struck me this week as the three of us (me, K and M) were driving through town, and I was watching them in the backseat through my rear-view as they shared a book and Katie "read" to Micah, that - OH MY GOODNESS - SHE IS LEAVING ME! I really thought that kindergarten was going to be great and that I wouldn't miss her a bit, but now I think I will. Granted, she is climbing the walls and making me crazy these days and she is bored and annoying and all that. But she is also sweet and good to her brother (most of the time) and she is so loving and snuggly, and she is helpful (most of the time) and funny. Today, there is a guy pressure washing the house - she asked me if he was done with the bathrooms and could she go potty! If only... And earlier this week, she pulled a hard boiled egg out of the fridge, who's shell had cracked while it was cooking, and she freaked out - "Mom - this one is hatching!" She keeps me in stitches.

Anyway, I just had to share that epiphany. It's not the going that makes me sad - she'll love it and grow up so much at school. It's just the leaving me behind that makes me sad. I guess I better get used to it. Loving and leaving is pretty much what kids do.

In the meantime, I have a lot to do. Micah is so confused - too much female influence. At the shoe store today, he pulled off the cool tennis shoes I had him try on and put on some sparkly pink flip-flops instead. Then he shed his baseball cap to put on a Hello-Kitty hat instead. (At least he can match his accessories.) Katie going to kindergarten will probably be good for him - help him get his blues and pinks straight!

17 days and counting...

2 comments:

Jimmy, Tiffany, Abigail and Cooper said...

Jimmy says we're buying Cooper "boy" dress-up clothes for his birthday. He's tired of his namesake coming out of his sister's room in mismatched heels and princess dresses. Or his favorite: a Dorothy (Wizard of Oz) dress.

The kindergarten thing hasn't hit me yet. But I am ready for Cooper to be in pre-school two days a week, that is FOR SURE!!!

TC in SC said...

Yeah - I don't think there will be too many tears when I drop Micah off for his first day at preschool, the week after Katie starts.