Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It's all fun and games until someone pukes in the playland!

So it's 480 degrees (roughly) and we are running out of money and things to fill the day! If someone wants me to do their back to school shopping (and foot the bill of course), I'd be glad to because I am bored out of my gourd today. That doesn't mean I don't have anything to do - just nothing that is appealing to do with 2 whiny kids and a car that feels like an oven, on less than $5.00.

So we have been hitting the "fun" (term used loosely) restaurants this week for lunch and a bit of energy exertion (theirs, not mine). Today it was Burger King. Apparently, most of the other moms in town thought it was a good idea too, so it was packed...

...until the worker-man said kindly, "We need to clear the playland for just a few minutes while we clean some vomit out of the little car thingy." Wow. What a way to empty Burger King of about 75 people in less than a minute. I think the lake dropped a couple inches too, shortly after that, as about 30 moms scrubbed their kids from head to toe (Katie is still soaking as we speak). I think the only thing that could make these last, hot, grumpy days of summer any longer is a stomach virus!

But on a lighter note, Micah is becoming a little quirky in his old age. In a stroke of brilliance (I thought at the time), I got him eating his vegetables one night with a toothpick (we said "on a steeek", like the jalepeno on a stick guy). Unfotunately, he has now abandoned all other forms of self feeding and will only eat stuff off of a "steeek". It's a little tedious. We haven't tried rice since this started. Or soup. I'll keep you posted about that.

Only 2 weeks left until school. We are getting nervous about the morning times. Currently, we are weening Katie off of the 10 am waking schedule. Shooting for 9:30 by the end of the week. We need to get to 6:45. Not sure how that will go. But she is ready - she's been wearing jeans and a SWEATER all week. DId I mention that it's nearly 800 degrees outside? Just checking. She cracked me up again the other night. We were eating chicken soup (I know - bad idea in August but I couldn't come up with anything else) and Rick got a little bone in his. Katie commented, "I wonder why they put bones in the chicken? What good is that?" Maybe I'd be that smart if I could sleep until 10:00 every morning.

The kids are playing together a little more these days. That is usually a good thing, although 2 conniving little minds are truly scarier than one. Yesterday, they played that they were cops and arrested the vaccuum cleaner. The vaccuum has been the source of much delight these past couple weeks. Once again I ask myself why I buy toys when the hard plastic vaccuum attachments are what they play with all day. Describing the arrest of the vaccum on the phone to my friend Holly resulted in a suggestion that they need a little "respect of the household appliances" crash course. I think I probably need the "it's not always good in the long run to let kids do whatever it takes to keep them from whining" crash course instead. But it's a little too hot for that today! Besides, at least I didn't let them eat cookies or doritos for breakfast, like I know some moms are prone to do.

Yet.

13 days and counting...

No comments: